Tuesday, December 21, 2010

this and that

Last night we had an awesome full moon. No clouds, so the light was so bright I didn't even need to use my flashlight on the way back from dinner. I tried to take a pictures, but I'm not sure it's good enough to show, but here it is.

When I got back to my bungalow, I opened all the curtains and just fell asleep to the bright light and shadows. The lions were roaring and every other thing, it seems, was enjoying the clear night and full moon.

An update on the baby caracals: both the male and female (Romeo and Juliet) are drinking milk and growing rapidly. They've almost doubled in weight since they were born, so that's a really good sign that they're going to make it. You never know with orphans since the mother's milk is so important. But the odds look good for these guys. Thanks to Cornelia Achtel, who feeds them every four hours with tiny doll bottles--as well as takes care of all their other needs.

Their eyes are open and are a deep blue. They squeal a lot. We took them out on the grass in the sunshine today so they could soak up some vitamin D and feel what grass is like. They were adorable. It's hard not to pick them up and kiss on them every time they come near.



And the final news is that Annika Funke finished my painting! I can't wait to have it framed and put it on the wall. I was going to put it over my fireplace in the living room, but once I saw it, I changed my mind. It shows Zion (my personally favorite lion) watching over a young girl while she sleeps under the stars. Now I absolutely have to put it over my bed, where every night I'll imagine Zion and the animals at Harnas keeping a watchful eye on me under a night full of African stars.

It's hard to believe I only have one more whole day (Wednesday) left here at Harnas. The three weeks have just flown by. Now I have to return to cold weather, short dark days, and working for a living. But it's been wonderful, and I'm so glad I got this opportunity to come and celebrate the book with my African friends.

2 comments:

  1. Has it really been three weeks? Wow, time sure does fly by when you're having such great fun. LOVE the pic of the baby caracal....do you think you could smuggle him (or her) home in your suitcase and then send him to me? That would be great. Thanks. And what a wonderful painting by Annika....I know you'll treasure that forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how wonderful sure will miss your blog . I can't believe 3 weeks are gone back to the cold dark days . we had a Lunar Eclipse here in Wa st. last night . Safe travels I know you will be back soon to see all the babies.

    ReplyDelete