Thursday, December 21, 2017

Baboon walk

The other night I joined the volunteers for a baboon walk. There are 4 babies and about 9 or 10 teenagers. We release them all from their enclosures and run for the bridge. Surprisingly, they follow. They're so excited to get out and play. Some walk by themselves and some ride on dogs--as above--and some ride on us. I got some great pictures on my phone, but I can't get the pictures so send to the blog. I'll work on it.

After about a half hour of walking, we sit down and the baboons play around us. One female, Olli, became my best buddy and groomed me, throwing my hair up and going through it carefully. Then she did my arms and lifted them up so she could look at my armpits. It was quite the ordeal--a voluteer took some pics for me and said she would send them but hasn't yet, but when she does, I'll put them up. Then we walked home and amazingly got them all back in their right homes.

I haven't had much time to write lately. Marieta has me doing some special projects for her and working pretty much full time since people have left for the holidays that she usually counts on. This morning for example, I was up at 6:00 and got ready. I went to the food prep area and made 15 bottles of milk--from three different recipes--for 15 different babies. Then I had to go around and feed everyone--some within walking distance, like the baby hyenas, and some I had to drive to. That's right--I've got KEYS now, to rooms, gates, trucks, and enclosures. I'm the real deal now, working full time. All animals, all the time.

That takes me to about 10:00 when I have a couple of hours to go see Atheno and write this blog before I have the noon feeding--same thing. Then I do another one at 5:00 and a final one at 10:00, although I think I'm going to ask Marieta if someone else can take the late one since I'm dead on my feet by 8:30. It's just one set of animals, so it will be easy.

So things are great. I'm working very hard but feeling valued. I know Marieta wouldn't let me do all this stuff without trusting me. It's an honor and privilege to do it all. Okay, off we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment