Sunday, December 24, 2017

Merry Christmas at Harnas

My WiFi here is very slow today so I don't know if I'll get any pictures, but I definitely wanted to write since it's been several days since I have.

Christmas at Harnas is very low key. Last night we had a big buffet and then Santa showed up to give everyone a present.  Today we're having a brunch and the bushmen children will be putting on a live nativity scene--with real goats and sheep and a lame miniature horse. Should be fun. In between the meals, life goes on as usual. The animals don't know it's a holiday and must all be fed.  I counted up yesterday, and on an average day, I make 65 bottles for various baby animals. There are three different recipes for milk--for example, some get a mixture of cow's milk, cream, egg yolk, and several kinds of protein and vitamin powder. Mix well and heat before putting it in bottles and feeding it to the right baby. Yesterday I got up to feed at 6:00 and did my final feeding after the festivities at 11:00. Up again at 6:00 today. It's hard work but it's so fulfilling to be making a difference.

I also want to say how lucky I feel to be here among my favorite animals. My guesthouse is situated perfectly among the animal enclosures. Many mornings, I wake up and see herds of wildebeest, springboks, or impalas. I'm only 100 yards from a lion enclosure and less from a baboon enclosure. Out my front window is an enclosure of 5 cheetahs that often hang out right by the fence because the ostriches (spectacularly stupid animals) wander about. I'm sure they're thinking "so close but so far." I'm amazed at the variety of animals surrounding me--and that's just as I stand by my front door. I'm so lucky and I try to remind myself of that every night as I fall into bed exhausted. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Well, I see my picture hasn't downloaded yet, so I'll just post this and hope for better internet tomorrow. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment